Big Apple Motorcycle School’s Updated MSF Basic RiderCourse – $398
LEARN THE BASICS TO RIDING A MOTORCYCLE IN 2 DAYS
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic RiderCourse (BRC) is designed to help beginning riders between ages 16 years and up learn how to be safe and confident on the road. Millions of riders throughout the United States have participated in these courses in the last 40 years as they prepared to get their motorcycle license. Big Apple Motorcycle School motorcycle rider training is a great way to learn how to ride a motorcycle because we remove a lot of the barriers prohibiting prospective riders from getting started.
WHO SHOULD ATTEND THIS COURSE?
- Anyone who has little to no motorcycling experience and wants a FUN, proven way to learn how to ride.
- Riders wanting training and certification. Once you have passed the Basic RiderCourse, NO FURTHER RIDING TESTS AT DMV will be required.
- For riders returning to motorcycling after a few years away from the joy of motorcycling.
- Riders seeking eligibility for motorcycle insurance discounts from many major insurance carriers.
- Riding is done at our Heckscher State Park training location in East Islip.
- An affordable and FUN way to learn the strategies to mentally and physically operate a motorcycle successfully.
- We provide the use of a motorcycle or scooter. Scooters available upon request in advance of your course date.
WHAT WILL I EXPERIENCE WITH THE BASIC RIDERCOURSE?
- State-of-the-art training for those entering motorcycling using the UPDATED Basic Rider Course Motorcycle Safety Foundation curriculum.
- The low-stress way to gain key information and hands-on riding experience. On our training motorcycle, your Rider Coach will guide you through the basic skills of how to safely start and stop your motorcycle.
We’ll gradually add skills, including:
- Shifting, cornering at speed, low-speed maneuvering, quick stopping, swerving, and other hazard avoidance techniques.
- In the on-line course and classroom, your Rider Coach will provide interactive learning scenarios to help you learn key strategies for riding your motorcycle with confidence in the real world.
Provides ROAD TEST waiver!
For New riders!
- You do NOT need a NY motorcycle permit for the class.
- 5-hour online learning component (eCourse) done before the course. (It will be sent to you after you register and pay.)
- A short in-person classroom.
- 10-hours of riding over 2 days concludes with a skills test.
- We provide the motorcycle.
- Possess a valid New York State Driver License.
- Cost $398
Register for the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic RiderCourse (BRC) with License Waiver
This course provides the ROAD TEST waiver!
Basic RiderCourse class schedule at Heckscher State Park in Great River.
Registration for April 2023 classes is now open!
This course is designed for new and beginning riders! Your class is NOT confirmed until we receive payment! You must pay for your course within 2 business days of registration or your registration may be cancelled!
A small, training motorcycle is provided for the use of all riders. Because of COVID-19, each student must provide their own helmet and gloves.
WHAT IS REQUIRED TO ATTEND THIS COURSE?
All riders MUST provide and wear:
- DOT-approved motorcycle helmet. Because of COVID-19, each student must provide their own helmet and gloves.
- Eye protection (goggles or faceshield).
- Long sleeve shirt or jacket.
- Sturdy pants (denim, at a minimum).
- Sturdy over-the-ankle footwear.
- Full-fingered gloves.
It is required that:
- You are able to balance a two-wheeled bicycle before riding a motorcycle in this course.
- You are older than 16 years of age.
- You hold a valid automobile driver’s license.
- A waiver of liability and acceptance of risk must be signed and dated prior to the first on-motorcycle training session.
- Anyone younger than 18 years-of-age must have this waiver signed by their parent or guardian (and notarized if the parent or guardian signs outside the presence of Big Apple Motorcycle School personnel).
The clothing list above is a requirement, not a suggestion. If you have even more substantial protection like motorcycle-specific riding gear, that’s even better. Finally, you must be able to balance a two-wheeled bicycle before you can ride a motorcycle as a part of this course. We encourage participants who haven’t ridden a bicycle recently to prepare for the course by frequently getting on a bicycle in advance of the course. We also require all our riders to be at least 16-years of age.
Want to be more prepared for your class? Please see Preparing for your course
Want to know more? Please see our Step-by-step guide to getting your motorcycle license
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF) Basic RiderCourse (BRC) is a nationally recognized rider training program. This extensive course is held over a two or three-day period and includes in-person classroom instruction, an approximately 5-hour online learning component (eCourse) that is done prior to the course and 10-hours of on-motorcycle training. The BRC is a group class with up to 12 students and 2 instructors. Successful completion of the course results in a New York State road test waiver that combined with a NY State Motorcycle Learner’s permit will yield your motorcycle license endorsement. You do NOT need a motorcycle learner’s permit for this class – you can get your permit AFTER the class as you will have to go DMV anyway! In order to register for classes with Big Apple Motorcycle School you must have a valid NY State Driver’s License prior to the start of class. Please see our Ride Prerequisites and by registering, you agree to be bound by the terms and conditions of our Refund Policy.
Right now, we offer the following formats of classes (see Class Schedule for specifics)
Step-by-step guide to getting your motorcycle license
Weekend 1 format – Saturday afternoon classroom, on-motorcycle training Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Weekend 2 format – Saturday morning classroom, on-motorcycle training Saturday and Sunday afternoons.
Weekday 1 format – Thursday afternoon classroom, on-motorcycle training Thursday and Friday mornings.
Weekday 2 format – Thursday morning classroom, on-motorcycle training Thursday and Friday afternoons.
Other formats – See the Class Schedule for details.
|Pay here for previously scheduled class!
||Helpful instructions to register: You will be taken to the MSF RiderCourse Enrollment System. Choose a class with an open seat (you may have to scroll forward a page or two to find a class that works for you), fill out the student information on the on-line registration form and click the “enroll student” button on the bottom of the page. You may then enroll another student or simply click the “complete registration” button to continue. You should read and agree to the terms and conditions and then put in your confirmation email address and click “complete registration”. A “Reservation Complete” page will be displayed, however, you must scroll down to “Training Provider Links” and then click “Click to complete registration and payment process”. A Big Apple Motorcycle School page will be displayed with “Complete the Registration Process and Pay for your selected class” and then you should click “Complete and Pay Now”. Use our secure, payment gateway to pay for the course with your credit or debit card. You must pay for your course within 2 business days of registration or your registration may be cancelled! You can also use the Payment Link on any page to pay!